Celery is a vegetable that is considered an exceptional negative calorie food. This means that the body spends more calories on digesting a vegetable than it receives by eating it.
Let’s make a reservation right away that the concept of “negative calorie content” is very arbitrary, but still there is no need to argue about the benefits of celery for the human body — this product should definitely be on your menu!
The celery stalk, as well as the root, have many useful properties and minerals that fight varicose veins, or the so-called “mesh”, so hard-hitting and disliked by all girls.
In this article you will learn:
Why should you eat celery? What are its benefits for women and men? And what are the contraindications?
Useful properties of celery
Celery contains a lot of potassium, phosphorus, calcium and magnesium.
- The beneficial properties of celery are that it is useful for cardiovascular diseases, strengthening the walls of blood vessels.
- It is also recommended to introduce it into the diet for those who have problems with the gastrointestinal tract, who have a suspicion of gastritis and stomach ulcers.
- In addition to the fact that this vegetable is low in calories, it also helps the body absorb protein faster, which makes the metabolism fast and of high quality.
- Celery strengthens the nervous system, immunity, prevents infections, and also fights aging, and can slow down the aging process of the skin.
100 grams of peeled plant tuber contains:
- Potassium — 320 mg;
- Phosphorus — 80 mg;
- Calcium — 68 mg;
- Magnesium – 9 mg;
- Manganese — 0.15 mg;
- Zinc – 0.31 mg;
- Iron — 0.53 mg.
Celery has anti-allergic, laxative, antiseptic and tonic properties. The plant improves appetite and digestion, contributes to the smooth functioning of the whole organism.
Due to the content of vitamin C in it, celery restores blood circulation, normalizes blood pressure. The vegetable promotes vasodilation (relaxation of the smooth muscles of the walls of blood vessels), mainly in the aorta, making celery effective for hypertension.
Iron, magnesium and calcium, which are contained in celery, improve immunity. Celery increases the level of hemoglobin in the blood and has the ability to relieve swelling.
All about celery root
When buying a whole celery, many people throw away the root when peeling, which is fundamentally wrong, pardon the pun. It turns out that celery root has its own pleasant benefits for your nutrition, and now we will tell you in detail why you should eat celery root.
Celery root: benefits and harms
Nutritionists advise adding celery root to meals every day, as it is a real treasure with vitamins, minerals and essential oils. It helps fight diseases during beriberi, and also strengthens the immune system in general. In addition, celery root is useful in that its constant use prevents the development of many diseases.
Benefits of celery root:
- Thanks to iron salts, celery root is an excellent prevention of anemia, exhaustion, anemia.
- It improves metabolism and is indispensable for those who want to lose weight quickly by the summer.
- Magnesium perfectly helps the nervous system to deal with stress and tension. If you are prone to such moments, be sure to eat celery root at least a couple of times a week. Celery root eliminates irritability, reduces stress.
- Celery root helps those who have joint problems. It has a preventive and rejuvenating effect on the joints, and they are less susceptible to disease.
- It helps the cardiovascular system, prevents diseases of this system, and also lowers blood pressure.
- It improves well-being and tone throughout the day, especially for those who adhere to intermittent fasting: celery root saturates the body with vitamins and substances that last for a very long time.
- Stimulates the brain. Celery root helps to improve the quality of memory, attention. In the long term, the constant use of celery root will help you learn faster, do your daily mental work better, and be creative.
- Excellent prevention of colds and other viral respiratory infections.
- An excellent tool for improving potency, so celery root for men is an indispensable tool for the health of the reproductive system.
In every barrel of honey you can not do without a fly in the ointment. Celery root is contraindicated in women in the second and higher trimester of pregnancy, as well as during breastfeeding. Celery root can adversely affect lactation.
If you have varicose veins, stomach ulcers and thrombophlebitis, refrain from eating celery root altogether.
How to eat celery root
Medicinal properties of celery root do not decrease if you change the method of preparation. Boiled or baked — it’s still healthy.
You can squeeze the juice from the celery root and drink a little every day, or you can cut into cubes and crunch while watching TV. And most importantly — you can cook salads from celery root. Add salt to a minimum: the taste of celery root is such that it is not necessary to heavily salt dishes with it.
Simple celery root salad
Believe it or not, this simple salad is one of the favorite dishes of New York restaurant Le Veau d’or. But you don’t need to fly to New York and spend a lot of money for it. Just make your own celery root salad at home.
You will need:
- 500 g of celery root;
- 2–3 tbsp. l. homemade mayonnaise;
- 2 tbsp. l. lemon juice;
- seasonings to taste.
- Cut the peeled celery root into thin strips.
- Mix homemade mayonnaise with lemon juice and stir until smooth.
- Season the celery with the mayonnaise dressing and then season with salt and pepper.
Enjoy your meal!
What is useful celery for women
The composition of celery includes dietary fiber, so it can be safely used to combat extra pounds. It can be eaten in large quantities and are not afraid to get better, since 100 grams of greens contain only 16 kilocalories. By the way, there is even a special diet, which consists of dishes from this useful plant (mainly soups).
The effect of celery is stunning, as it not only helps to get rid of harmful substances that accumulate in the body, but also from swelling. In addition, celery helps women with painful menstruation and menopause.
Celery helps with hormonal disruptions, prevents pain, weakness and bad mood on critical days. If, after thirty-five years, a course of treatment is carried out four times a year with celery seeds, then menopause may not even be noticed.
Why do men need to eat celery
The dietary benefits of celery for women have already been written above, but what is the use of this vegetable for men. Celery contains androsterone, which improves potency. So, by chance, you can add a little celery to the salad today, it will not hurt. Although the result will be more effective after eating fresh celery.
The use of celery will help men cope with diseases of the genitourinary system. If your loved one is prone to gaining excess weight, then celery is more than ever worth it. After all, it will remove all toxins and harmful substances from the body, and speed up metabolism.
Men can also use celery as a prophylactic against prostatitis. The plant, due to its diuretic action, defeats infectious diseases of the genitourinary system and reproductive organs. In addition, the plant can be used to treat kidneys and liver.
Celery for weight loss
Celery is a plant that contains many vitamins, substances and trace elements. It is also one of the best weight loss products. Celery contains few calories, but to digest this plant, the body needs to spend a lot more energy. Celery promotes the rapid breakdown of subcutaneous fat, rids the body of toxins.
Celery oil — what is useful
Celery essential oil is obtained from any part of the plant, but the most valuable oil is extracted from the seeds, which are steam distilled. The oil has a strong pleasant aroma. It is used as a good diuretic. It is used for kidney disease.
A massage is done with celery essential oil, thanks to which a person suffering from urinary retention gets rid of this ailment. Massage also helps to eliminate toxins from the body, so it is recommended for the treatment of arthritis, cellulite, rheumatism and gout.
The most useful property of such a fresh juice is the diuretic properties of celery juice. As you know, extra pounds are not only an excess of fat in the body, but also water. Celery or celery-carrot and / or apple fresh has a delicate diuretic effect and removes all harmful substances from the body with urine. It also improves tone and helps to normalize the work of the endocrine glands.
- This juice will help balance weight, reduce cravings for sugary and fatty foods. In addition, it helps to get rid of excess weight, cellulite and puffiness, as it has a cleansing and diuretic effect.
- Freshly squeezed juice will help calm the nervous system and maintain the temperature balance of the body during extreme heat.
- Celery juice will prevent constipation and reduce the risk of calcification in the body. It will improve digestion and cleanse the intestines of harmful accumulated substances.
- The juice will also help those who have sand in the kidneys, and will contribute to its painless removal. But if you already have stones, then it is better to refuse such a medicine!
Celery juice recipe: take a few bunches of petiole and run through a juicer. The juice is drunk in small sips. It can also be expressed through gauze and consumed three times a day one hour before meals.
Contraindications: who should not eat celery
Celery is not recommended for pregnant women. Due to the fact that its special substances can lead to premature birth. It is also possible the formation of excessive gases in the stomach, which will negatively affect the fetus.
Celery can harm those who suffer from a disease such as epilepsy. In this case, the negative impact is directed to the brain. Should try not to eat celery and those people who have kidney stones, as the vegetable can provoke the movement of stones, which will entail surgery.
Celery should be taken with caution by people who have an increased acidity of the stomach, as this plant stimulates the secretion of gastric juice.
It is also contraindicated to use celery dishes for those who suffer from thrombophlebitis, varicose veins, thyroid diseases, cholecystitis, pancreatitis, uterine bleeding, and the elderly with exacerbation of chronic diseases.
In general, every self-respecting housewife should have this wonderful vegetable, who monitors the health of her family and friends, and leads an active lifestyle. After all, health depends largely on us, and how responsibly we treat ourselves, respect our body, it will thank us with excellent health.
Is it possible for children to have celery
Celery is useful, especially after winter, when the child’s body needs vitamins. It successfully replaces other vegetables. All parts of celery are useful, so the variety of dishes is huge — salads, stews, casseroles.
A little celery can be introduced into a child’s diet from 12 months. Combine it with apples, dried apricots, nuts and raisins.
Do you love celery?